RSS Feed

My Role

February 20, 2013 by Andrew Kettle   

The roles i have chosen for my Semester B project are the projects, Sound Recordist, Sound Editor & Mixer, Foley & ADR Mixer, Mastering Editor. These roles were chosen for me because of the skills i have in these areas. As well as this, these were chosen for me because i am confident in fulfilling the role and using it to the most of my potential. My roles relate to both the production sound and the post production sound.

Sound Recordist – A sound recordist is a member of the film crew who is responsible for capturing high quality audio on a location recording. Most sound recordists are freelance and work in the production stages of the film production. A sound recordist work closely with the Director, Boom Operator and the Sound Editor. I believe my skills of working well in a group as well as working independently will highly benefit me in carrying out this role efficiently.

Sound Editor & Mixer – A sound editor is someone who arranges and audio ready for the final mix and master. Sound editors work in many media industries such as, film, tv, radio etc. Due to my background of audio recording being multitrack. I have a good knowledge in arranging audio as well as mixing and mastering audio. This will benefit me in perusing this role.

Foley & ADR Mixer – A foley & ADR mixer are similar to a sound editors roles however, their main focus is simply mixing the adr and foley sounds. This can be a tough role to manage because each sound has to fit with the realism of the film and be very subtle in mix. ADR is a tough role to meet because it can be very time consuming. Due to the work experience i am undergoing producing sound for a film production. This will help me in completing this role and i can reflect the skills i have learnt onto my semester b project.

Mastering Editor – A mastering engineer is someone who takes the final mix of audio and manipulates it to be ready for distribution. The mastering editor has the final say on the music before it is released. This role is very important as if it id done incorrectly. It can effect the whole audio track and affect what the audience can hear.

»